Nazaj na arhiv
5. 6. 2016
dr. Zvi Paltiel
A Century-Long Endeavor Concluding a Billion-Year Voyage on Stormy Gravitational Waves
Earlier this year the LIGO collaboration announced the first direct detection of gravitational waves (GWs). Predicting gravitational waves exactly century ago, Einstein doubted they would ever be detected.
The GWs of two massive black hole violent coalescence over a billion years ago made their way to the upgraded ultra sensitive LIGO detector right after its recent commission. Not only Einstein's general relativity celebrates its most significant triumph, but the emerging new type of astronomy allows an authentic gravitational wave look at black holes as well as the very early universe, right after the Big Bang.
- World Science Festival - The Sound of Ancient Gravity
- Russell Hulse - The Nature of Scientific Investigation
- Jeffrey Hazboun's Videos - Gravitational waves
- Wikipedia - Gravitational waves
- Wikipedia - First observation of gravitational waves
- Physical Review Letters - Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger
- The Astrophysical Journal Letters - Astrophysical Implications of the Binary Black Hole Merger GW150914
- TED Allan Adams - What the discovery of gravitational waves means
- Gravitational waves chirp and video